First Baptist Powell Biblical Counseling Ministries offers Biblical Counseling services to those in the Powell and Knoxville communities. We provide counseling for individuals, couples and families.
What is Biblical Counseling?
Biblical Counseling is the process where the Bible- God’s Word- is related individually to a person or persons who are struggling under the weight of personal sin and/or difficulties with suffering, so that he or she might experience genuine inner change with the goal of becoming pleasing to God. This definition is based on three important beliefs.
- First, we believe that the Bible, is sufficient for life in that; when properly interpreted, it reveals to the believer all the data necessary for one to understand his/her need for Christ, how he/she can please the Lord, and how to live in a God-honoring way regardless of life’s circumstances, whether comfortable or oppressive.
- Second, the Bible is also the authoritative source with which all truth claims -including claims made by science and history-must be evaluated. As a result, we reject all counseling theories that use presuppositions, principles, and/or methodologies that are inconsistent with the proper interpretation of the biblical text.
- Third, we believe that genuine heart change is totally dependent on the ministry of the Holy Spirit.
Thus, our view of counseling practice includes the importance of prayer, dependence on God, a thorough knowledge of the Word of God, and an understanding of ministering to people.
We understand there are times in life where you just need a helping hand. In fact, many people are doing very well in some parts of their life while struggling in others. Now might be the time when you need someone to come alongside and encourage you from the Bible.
We see folks with all kinds of problems, but the most common would be those struggling in their marriage, helping parents with their children, those dealing with sexual sin, and those struggling with their emotions (i.e., depression or anger).
To Receive Counseling
In order to receive counseling from First Baptist Powell Biblical Counseling Ministries, everyone seeking counseling must complete and sign the required forms which can be obtained here (see Counseling Form Instructions at the bottom of this page) or by calling the church office (865-947-9074).
There is Hope
We believe that God has given us all we need to know Him and to live in a way that is pleasing to Him. When a person willingly submits to God’s instructions and clings to His promises, there is hope and help. There are answers for dealing with whatever you might be facing. In fact, though all our dificulties may not evaporate, many of our counselees see significant progress within a few months.
Since First Baptist Powell provides the facilities and the counselors volunteer their time, we offer counseling free of charge.
What can you expect from First Baptist Powell Biblical Counseling Ministries?
- Privacy. Everything will be held in strict confidence except where, in the counselor’s judgment, there is a biblical requirement to involve others (i.e., criminal activity).
- Care. Our counselors will care for you and treat you with respect.
- Encouragement toward Christ-likeness. Our counselors will encourage you in your successes and exhort you to think and behave in a way that pleases Jesus Christ.
What does First Baptist Powell Biblical Counseling Ministries expect from you?
- Be honest. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to help you if you are not honest with us.
- Do weekly homework assignments that will encourage lasting change.
- Give us a little time. Habits are not developed overnight, and new habits will take time to develop. In most cases, we ask individuals to commit to regular counseling appointments for a period of three to four months.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call us at (865) 947-9074 or email Jim Waddell (email@example.com). We would love to hear from you. If you’re ready to get help now, please begin by completing the Consent to Counsel and the Personal Data Inventory forms.
NOTE: Due to availability of counselors and flexibility in your schedule, there could be a delay before your counseling sessions begin. Also, note that each individual desiring counseling needs to fill out separate forms (above).