Mill City Mission Project
PLEASE NOTE: DATES FOR THE TRIPS HAVE CHANGED.
The opportunity for great Christian fellowship has not.
MILL CITY, OREGON
Late in the summer of 2020, wildfires swept across much of the western USA. In many ways, these fires seemed distant and unconnected to First Baptist Powell; however, one fire, the Santiam fire, struck close to home. That fire that raged through the Santiam Canyon burned much of the small town of Mill City, Oregon. Mill City is not just another point on the map of the state of Oregon. It is the home of a long-time friend and ministry partner, Pastor Rich Cole. FBP first became acquainted with Pastor Rich and his family in the early 2000s, when we had the privilege of serving together in Idaho where Rich pastored a bi-vocational church. The Lord would relocate Rich and his family to Mill City, following his work in the lumber industry and Rich would serve as the pastor of Mill City Baptist Church. Over the next several years, FBP would send mission teams to serve alongside Pastor Rich. We were also honored to have FBP members, Derek and Rebekah Ownby, serve as student ministry leaders at Mill City. During the 2020 fires, Mill City Baptist Church lost its building, and Pastor Rich lost his home.
REBUILDING MILL CITY BAPTIST
We now have the great privilege of joining MCBC in rebuilding and reestablishing their gospel witness in that area. Pastor Rich, along with folks from FBP, are putting together a plan to rebuild the Mill City Baptist Church building in seven weeks! This will take an incredible number of volunteers 90-100; hundreds of thousands of dollars in resources (lumber mills in the area have committed to donate much of the needed supplies); and massive logistics to insure the arrival, housing, and feeding of multiple teams. We believe with God’s help and your participation, we can accomplish this God-sized challenge.
WE NEED YOUR HELP
We need all kinds of skill levels, from the experienced journeyman craftsman to the basic helper. We need teams to build, but also teams to do evangelism and VBS, so there is a place for almost any FBP member. Right now, we are limiting applications to adults (18 and over); however, we may add a student team to help with VBS toward the end of the project.
● Cost: $250; includes airline ticket, lodging, ground transportation, meals.
● Teams will fly from Knoxville to Portland and will stay in the fellowship hall of a church near the work area. Cots and twin beds have been donated
● Meals will be provided onsite.
○ Team 1 (FULL) : June 12-19 | framing all floors and walls
○ Team 2 (FULL) : June 19-26 | roof trusses, roof decking, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing rough in
○ Team 3 : June 26-July 3 | exterior siding, windows, and standing seam metal roof
○ Team 4 : July 3-10 | prayer walking and canvasing for VBS; insulation and sheet rock
○ Team 5 (FULL) : July 10-17 | VBS week; tape sheet rock, painting interior
○ Team 6 : July 17-24 | install interior trim and doors, painting interior and exterior, install carpet and flooring
○ Team 7 : July 24-31 | install lights, mechanical fixtures, kitchen and bathroom fixtures
I can’t go but want to be involved
If you are unable to go but still want to be involved, consider becoming a team prayer partner by clicking here to complete a short form. Finally, you can “Give to help others Go” by giving to the Missions by Faith fund online through Realm or by designating your cash or check to “Missions by Faith.” If you have any questions, please contact Pastor Tim McGhee (email@example.com).