All people worship that which they love most, but only God is supremely worthy of receiving that worship. As believers in Christ, we are called to love God with our whole lives, devoting our time, our talents, and—most of all—our affections to the praise of his glorious grace. His glory is the reason we were created! One of the greatest privileges believers share is worshiping together as the gathered Body of Christ on the Lord’s Day. At First Baptist Powell, our worship is centered around the Word of God. Scripture informs and instructs everything we do. The reading of Scripture, prayer, fellowship, and preaching are all critically important elements of corporate worship (1 Tim. 4:13, Acts 2:42). And, of course, one of the best ways we incorporate Scripture into our worship services and cause it to dwell in our hearts is through the use of music.
what is the role of music in worship?
Music accomplishes several purposes in our worship services. First and foremost, God desires that we sing praises to Him (Ps. 147:1). Through music, we give thanks and praise to God, and it is fitting to come into His presence with singing (Ps. 100:1-2). Worship music also serves a teaching capacity: by our singing, we instruct one another (Eph. 5:18; Col. 3:16) as well as the world (Is. 12:5; Rom. 15:9). Singing engages both our affections and our intellect; we sing with our spirit, but with our mind also (1 Cor. 14:15). Music helps us commit things to memory. We remember what we sing much better than we remember what we only hear; it’s why so much of the instruction of Israel was codified in the Psalms and why businesses everywhere set their advertising to jingles! Because of the important role music plays in our corporate worship, the aim of our Worship Ministry is to be excellent in all we do (Col. 3:23). This points us to God, who Himself is the ultimate expression of truth, goodness, and beauty (Phil. 4:8). Music also serves as a unifying force in our congregation. This requires us to transcend stylistic preferences, and to unite around our common purpose of worshiping God. When He is the focus—both in our hearts, and in the content of the music used in worship—music ceases to be an idol and becomes the vehicle of worship it was intended to be. We look forward to joining you in worship very soon!
want to join the worship team?
Here are some of the many ways in which you can be involved in leading worship at First Baptist Powell.
The First Baptist Powell Worship Choir leads worship on Sunday mornings and at special events. This ensemble is a vibrant, multi-generational ministry open to any FBCPowell member over the age of 18.
- No audition required! Simply attend a rehearsal to join.
- Ability to read music is a plus, but not required. Many of our choir members had no musical training prior to joining the choir. All that is needed is a heart that loves to worship the Lord in song!
- Rehearsals are on Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00 p.m. in the choir room.
- Sunday morning warm-up is from 8:30-9:00 a.m. in the Main Worship Center.
- For more information about choir, contact the church office (865) 947-9074.
The First Baptist Powelll Worship Band & Orchestra is the backbone of all of our corporate worship services. Our music is rhythm-driven (piano, drums, guitars), backed by our excellent orchestra. Instrumentalists of all ages have a place in the FBCPowell Worship Ministry.
- Some experience is required. An audition will be used to determine your best fit, but there are opportunities for even beginners to participate in worship leading.
- Orchestra players must be able to read music and/or chord charts.
- Rehearsals are on Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00 p.m. in the orchestra practice room.
- Sunday morning warm-up is from 8:00-9:00 a.m. in the Main Worship Center.
- For more information about instrumental music ministry, contact Chuck Ramsey.
FAITH (For the Almighty in the Heavens) Choir is for students in 6th-12th grades with a passion to worship God with their voices, and to lead others to do the same.
- Attend any rehearsal to join.
- Rehearsals are Sundays from 3:00 to 4:00 PM in the Adult Choir Room (directly below the Main Worship Center).
- For more information about FAITH choir, please contact Robin Jarman at (865) 216-4719 or at email@example.com.
The J.O.Y. (Just Older Youth) Choir is an outreach branch of our senior adult ministry. This ensemble spreads the joy of worshiping the Lord by singing in various locations around our community. Many members of the J.O.Y. Choir also sing in the First Baptist Powell Worship Choir, though membership is open to all seniors.
- No audition or music-reading ability required!
- This group meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month in the Ministry House often traveling by bus to sing somewhere in our community.
- For more information about the J.O.Y. Choir, please contact the church office (865.947.9074).